10.04.2016

Page 20

Through the window, Kinzie signs at her.  /Hey.  Come here./
Elle walks through the side door.  The store has a smell she can't place.  Not bad.  Not good either.  Odd.  Distinct.
“Cedrick.  This is my friend Elle.”  Kinzie slows her signing down.
Cedrick nods.  /Nice to meet you./
Elle holds her breath and signs back. /Nice to meet you./
He turns to Kinzie and begins signing quickly.  Elle catches that there is a question about her.  Maybe where she is from?  Kinzie signs back with equal speed.  All she catches is the signs for meet and friend.
They look at her again.  Cedric signs and Kinzie translates.  “You look familiar.  Have we met before?”
“No.  I mean, I don't think so.”
“But you're not sure?”
“I'm sure I don't remember meeting you.”
Cedric and Kizie exchange a look.
“And where are you from?”
“I… I don't know.”
Cedric nods and starts signing again with Kinzie.  More about Elle and then several times a sign that looks like little wings sprouting from their shoulders is exchanged back and forth.  When they turn back to Elle, she copies the wings sign and furrows her eyebrows.
“Angel.”  Kinzie says.

No comments: