9.03.2019

Sam Played, Part 2

With a reach that tried to stay far away, the clerk scooped his phone back up and put it in his pocket.
Sam flicked a chocolate crumb off the counter. It bounced off the green long sleeve T-shirt of the clerk. “Hey boss, you going to answer my question?”
“Uh. Sorry, what now? What was the question, sir?”
Sam propped his elbows on the counter and made a smacking noise with his lips. He spun around, opened the baked goods box and carefully tonged out the cupcake in question. He whistled “row, row, row, your boat” as he plunked the baked good at the far edge of the counter, closest to the clerk. “This. Where did you get this?”
The clerk shrugged. “I don’t have a clue, man. I mean, sir. That’s the morning shift. They get the baked goods, I think.” He turned around robotically and flipped through the contents of a clipboard. “Maybe. It’s in here somewhere who does that. The baked goods delivery but I guess it makes sense that it’s the morning shift, right? I mean, right, sir?”
Sam lifted up the cupcake with the brown plastic tongs again. He cleared his throat and then flipped the cupcake upside down, smashing the frosting on the clipboard. “Get it together, boss! I’m the customer, idiot! I’m not supposed to know! You’re supposed to know!”

No comments: