2.20.2017

Actual Comic Book Justice?

I was walking through the library On Sunday and saw a comic book on the "Lucky Day" shelf.  Being the comic nerd that I am, I picked up the book and opened it up.  The first thing I noticed was the picture of the author in the inside flap.
"Hey.  I know that guy!  He's a congressman.  What?  He writes comics?"
I read the flap and learned that indeed, John Lewis, the congressman from Georgia helped write (along with a writer and artist from the industry) a comic book about his youth, education, and participation in the civil rights movement. Cool.  Why did he choose to write a comic?
Turns out there was a comic made in the late 50s about Martin Luther King Jr and the protests in Montgomery.  That comic was part of the reason John Lewis decided to get involved in the civil rights movement.  How cool is that?  Comics, instead of abstractly talking about justice in the context of super heroes and villains, actually helped lead at least one person to work towards actual justice in the real world.
As a bonus, the story and art are excellent!

No comments: